Acupuncture therapy has been used for over 3000 years on people and has been effectively treating pets of all shapes and sizes for the last few decades.
We tailor your pets acupuncture treatment after a comprehensive physical exam, detailed history, and an assessment of neurological and musculoskeletal system about our acupuncture services.
In traditional Chinese medicine, disease is believed to be caused by an imbalance or disharmony in the external forces (or life energy—“Qi”) at work on the body. By identifying these imbalances, a pet’s overall well-being can be restored.
With veterinary acupuncture, small needles are inserted into the skin at specific points where life energy is believed to flow. When stimulated, these different acupuncture points cause specific effects on the body.
Most pets feel no pain during the placement of the acupuncture needles because they are so small. In fact, many pets become relaxed during treatments and can even fall asleep.
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) has recognized acupuncture as a valid treatment modality. It can be used to treat specific conditions, and it can be used to help prevent health problems from occurring. Through modern studies involving advanced imaging techniques, acupuncture’s physiological effects have been proven. And, since acupuncture does not involve medications that need to be metabolized, it can be safely performed in almost all pets, even those with liver and kidney disease.
Benefits of Acupuncture
• Acupuncture can be used in conjunction with other therapies to treat a variety of medical conditions, including:
• Nausea, decreased appetite, and other gastrointestinal problems caused by metabolic diseases and cancers
• Pain and inflammation due to degenerative joint disease, traumatic injuries, or intervertebral disc disease
• Skin conditions
• Respiratory problems associated with feline asthma
• Pets who undergo acupuncture may experience:
• Decreased inflammation
• Improved circulation
• Pain relief due to a release of hormones
• Relief of muscle spasms
• Nerve stimulation